Between 18th July and 2nd September children and young people aged 5-16 receiving free school meals will be able to access hundreds of free activities and a daily meal through the Summer 2022 Holiday Activities and Food (HAF) programme.
Liverpool City Council has been allocated funding by the Department of Education to provide holiday activities and healthy food for children.
The focus of the programme is on children eligible for benefits-related free school meals. Local authorities are asked to ensure that the offer of free holiday club provision is available for all children eligible for free school meals although it is accepted that not all eligible children will choose to participate. The programme will cover the Summer and Christmas holidays in 2022.
Merseyside Play Action Council have been awarded the contract to deliver the HAF programme in Liverpool. They will be building on the success of the Play Partnership and Positive About Play to deliver the HAF programme.
The aim of the programme is to make free places available to children eligible for free school meals for the equivalent of at least four hours a day, four days a week and for six weeks a year and would help children and young people:
- To eat more healthily over the school holidays (programmes will be expected to work towards the school food standards as part of the programme)
- To be more active during the school holidays
- To take part in engaging and enriching activities which support the development of resilience, character, and well-being along with their wider education attainment
- To be safe and not to be socially isolated
- To have greater knowledge of health nutrition; and
- To be more engaged with school and other local services.
This is a great opportunity to get children and young people involved in local activities.
View a map and list of Summer 2022 HAF providers here.